Watch the webinar below:
November 2016 is a supercharged month for climate action: the Paris Agreement will enter into force on Nov 4th and important initiatives will take place during the COP22 U.N. climate negotiations in Marrakesh (Nov 7-18), such as the delivery of the COP22 Interfaith Statement by faith leaders from all continents and the civil society open letter “The Sky’s Limit: No new fossil fuel development”.
At the same time, Pope Francis recently stated that “it is up to citizens to insist that [governments honour their commitments], and indeed to advocate for even more ambitious goals”, while reminding us that “2015 was the warmest year on record, and 2016 will likely be warmer still” (Message for the World Day of Prayer for Creation, Sept 2016).
This webinar featured experts and leaders present at COP22 as an opportunity for Catholics to learn about hot climate news and get inspired to take bold action for climate justice in the next 6 months. This webinar took place on November 14, 2016.
- THE URGENCY OF THE CLIMATE CRISIS: the Implications of “The Sky’s Limit” report
By David Turnbull – Campaigns Director, Oil Change International
- THE PARIS AGREEMENT: the Importance of its Entry into Force & the Key Marrakesh Discussions
By Giulia Bondi – Policy and Advocacy Officer-Climate Justice, CIDSE
- THE FAITH CALL TO ACTION: the Key Messages of the COP22 Interfaith Statement
By Rev. Fletcher Harper – Executive Director, GreenFaith
- WHAT’S NEXT FOR CATHOLICS: Upcoming Initiatives of the Global Catholic Climate Movement
By Tomás Insua – Executive Director, Global Catholic Climate Movement
Facilitator: Ciara Shannon, GreenFaith Asia Coordinator & GCCM Co-founder.
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN WEBINAR
- “The Paris Agreement and COP22” Powerpoint presentation of Giulia Bondi
- The Sky’s Limit: Why the Paris Climate Goals Require a Managed Decline of Fossil Fuel Production: Report by Oil Change International
- COP22 Interfaith Climate Statement coordinated by GreenFaith
- Save the Date! GCCM Upcoming Moments for 2016-2017