The Global Catholic Climate Movement (GCCM) is a global network of 400+ member organizations and a community of thousands of Catholics like you, responding to the Pope’s call to action in the Laudato Si’ encyclical.
Pope Francis’s message to GCCM:
The Global Catholic Climate Movement serves the Catholic family worldwide to turn Pope Francis’ Laudato Si’ encyclical into action for climate justice, by undergoing our own ecological conversion, transforming our lifestyles and calling for bold public policies together with the wider climate movement.
OUR WORK SO FAR
Since GCCM was founded in January 2015, it has mobilized hundreds of thousands of Catholics through multiple initiatives to bring Laudato Si’ to life. See GCCM’s highlights:
OUR LEADERSHIP AND STRUCTURES
GCCM’s work is led by: 1) a Steering Committee of member organizations that steers the strategic direction and programs, 2) a Board of Directors that oversees governance and financial matters, 3) a Secretariat that implements the strategic plan and programs, and 4) a global network of Member Organizations that mobilizes the Catholic community around the globe.
OUR STRATEGIC GOALS
GCCM aims to enable the Catholic community to bring Laudato Si’ to life in the three dimensions of the climate crisis:
– The papal call to action: “We must therefore encourage and support the ‘ecological conversion’ which has made humanity more sensitive to the catastrophe to which it has been heading” (St John Paul II).
– GCCM’s goal: to enable an ecological conversion of the Catholic faithful, a “change of heart” that can motivate an integral ecology and a more passionate concern for God’s creation.
– The papal call to action: “Humanity is called to recognize the need for changes of lifestyle, production and consumption, in order to combat this warming” and “highly polluting fossil fuels need to be progressively replaced without delay.” (Pope Francis, LS 23, 165).
– GCCM’s goal: to help the Catholic family lead by example and dramatically shrink its collective carbon footprint.
PUBLIC SPHERE DIMENSION:
– The papal call to action: “The Church has a responsibility towards creation and she must assert this responsibility in the public sphere… She must above all protect mankind from self-destruction.” (Pope Benedict XVI, Caritas in Veritate 51)
– GCCM’s goal: to raise a loud and prophetic voice critiquing the “unlimited growth” paradigm and calling for bold policies to advance 100% renewable energy.