The Global Catholic Climate Movement (GCCM) is an international network of Catholic individuals and organizations responding to the Pope’s Laudato Si’ call for climate justice. Founded in January 2015, GCCM has grown extremely quickly by bringing together 500+ member organizations and thousands of Catholics to take action through innovative campaigns to bring Laudato Si’ to life (see institutional brochure).
About the role:
GCCM is looking to hire a Program Director to launch and lead the Laudato Si Tracker global program, which will be a cutting-edge tool for Catholic parishes and institutions to measure their environmental footprint while also tracking progress of their broader Laudato Si Pledge action. By developing this first-ever Catholic sustainability platform, this person will make a decisive contribution to help the global Church practice what it preaches. In parallel, the Program Director will collaborate with the broader secretariat team in the execution of other initiatives related to the Laudato Si Pledge campaign.
- Lead the rollout of an ambitious and comprehensive program that blends sustainability and broader Laudato Si action, working with a vendor to customize a web-based platform to meet the needs of Catholic institutions, while designing programmatic components as engagement incentives and fee structures.
- Recruit Catholic institutions worldwide to sign up for the program in partnership with GCCM member organizations, while working with GCCM staff to secure media coverage and overall support for the program.
- Support and educate Catholic institutions in their journey to adopt sustainability policies, and produce relevant content for the GCCM network.
- Hire and oversee program staff, supervise program vendor, manage program budgets and submit relevant reports.
- Collaborate with GCCM’s senior management team to support related programming and initiatives as needed, and might support the development of new programs.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required or preferred:
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in the environmental space, with a strong understanding of clean energy and sustainability best practices and tools.
- Experience working in a Catholic context with a good understanding of the Church landscape and the needs of different Catholic institutions.
- Good understanding of the Laudato Si message and the Catholic Church’s social teaching on ecology.
- Five or more years experience managing a complex project, from start to completion.
Experience working internationally, with the ability to communicate effectively across different cultural and regional contexts.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Multilingual is a plus.
- Reliability; ability to self direct and take initiative.
- Attention to detail (incl. spelling, grammar, internal consistency).
Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, Google Apps Suite, with the ability to learn new applications and programs quickly.
- Ability to adapt to and juggle evolving and competing priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Comfortable working independently as part of a remote global team.
- Willingness to be available non-traditional hours as needed to support program needs.
Job Type: Full-time or part-time position with a 12-months fixed term contract, with the possibility of transitioning to a longer term position.
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: Rolling until hired
Start Date: Immediately
Location: This position can be done remotely.
How to apply: Send the following documents to [email protected]: 1) CV, and 2) cover letter explaining your qualifications and interest in the role. Put “Applicant: Program Director, Laudato Si Tracker” in the subject line.