14 FEBRUARY-29 MARCH: LENT
- Fast for Our Common Home: During Lent, give up habits that harm vulnerable sisters and brothers. Hear from individual people on the front lines of climate change, learn how your actions can protect them, and connect with Catholics who stand beside you.
- Laudato Si’ Animators Program: Laudato Si’ Animators are champions of Catholic action on climate change in parishes and communities around the world. No expertise is needed to join. Learn more.
22 APRIL: EARTH DAY
- Local events: Earth Day is an important opportunity to celebrate, educate, and advocate for creation. Learn more.
- Fossil Fuel Divestment: Fossil fuel divestment is gathering momentum in the Church. Two historic divestment announcements were made in 2017, and additional major announcements are expected in 2018. Institutions are called to divest by Earth Day. A Catholic divestment toolkit from GCCM and Trocaire lights the way. Learn more.
21-26 AUGUST: WORLD MEETING OF FAMILIES
During the triannual World Meeting of Families, families from around the world celebrate the importance of marriage and the family to Church life. During this year’s meeting in Dublin, Global Catholic Climate Movement will take creation care into the heart of Catholic family life by educating attendees about the Laudato Si’ message. Learn more.
1 SEPTEMBER-4 OCTOBER: SEASON OF CREATION
During the Season of Creation, people from all the major Christian denominations come together to celebrate and protect the good gift of creation. Last year saw 500+ events around the world. Host an event. Learn more.
8-9 SEPTEMBER: GLOBAL CLIMATE MOBILIZATION
Ahead of the Global Climate Action Summit (see below), the climate movement will take to streets around the globe to demand bold climate action. Learn More
12-14 SEPTEMBER: GLOBAL CLIMATE ACTION SUMMIT
- With action at the federal level stalled in some countries, local governments, businesses, and faith groups are uniting to take progress into their own hands. Non-state actors will gather in San Francisco to announce their commitments to renewable energy and climate solutions.Learn more
- Fossil Fuel Divestment: Fossil fuel divestment is gathering momentum in the Church. Institutions are called to divest by the Global Climate Action Summit. Learn more.
OCTOBER-NOVEMBER: CLIMATE PILGRIMAGES
Leading up to a critical climate summit in Poland, the next step in the Paris climate agreement, pilgrims will walk from the corners of Europe to Katowice in Poland, where the COP24 climate talks will take place. One of those pilgrimages will start in Assisi, the home of St. Francis. These pilgrims will discover their deepest connection to creation, the Creator, and each other. Learn more here.
2-4 NOVEMBER: PROPHETIC ECONOMY
The Prophetic Economy event in Italy will convene leaders from the fields of agriculture, business, and faith to develop sustainable, concrete solutions to our social and ecological crises. Learn more about the event and its contest.
During Advent, we prepare for the Christ child in our hearts and communities. Connect Laudato Si’ values to your experience of the season.
3-14 DECEMBER: COP24 IN POLAND
In 2015, nations met in Paris to establish a groundbreaking climate pact. This year, countries are taking the next step in the agreements by discussing how robustly they will reduce their greenhouse gas emissions through their new national climate plans. The Catholic voice for creation is an important part of the conversation.