2019 | Synod on the Amazon
About the synod on the Amazon
In October 2019, the Vatican invited the bishops from all dioceses in the world to travel to Rome in order to discuss the Amazon and its people. The gathering, or synod, was officially titled “The Amazon: new paths for the Church and for integral ecology.”
It was the first synod in which integral ecology was applied to a specific place in creation. That was a landmark for the Church. The synod ran from 6-27 October, and the week of 13 October was dedicated to integral ecology.
Here you can read the final document of the synod of bishops.
Here you can read Pope Francis’ post-synodal apostolic exhortation, “Querida Amazonia.”
There are many ways to bring this groundbreaking event into your faith practice. Take action at home or attend an event in Rome.
Take action at home
- Pray daily this Prayer for the Amazon Synod written by REPAM, the Pan-Amazonian Ecclesial Network
- Pray a Laudato Si’ rosary for the Synod during this Month of the Holy Rosary
- Use this month’s Laudato Si’ Circle resource to reflect on Scripture and the Synod
LEARN & REFLECT
- Reflect on the Synod Preparatory Document with others using this Small Group Process: “Amazonia: New Paths for the Church and for an Integral Ecology”
- Watch a mini video interview on the Amazon covering issues such as nature, climate, gender equality, indigenous rights, and land rights available on the CIDSE Youtube Channel with EN / ES / FR / GE / PT / IT subtitles.
- Learn about the Amazon and its people through this comprehensive guide and resources by Canadian agency Development and Peace
Our patterns of consumption and lifestyle impact places like the Amazon. In solidarity with the Amazon and its people:
Around the world, the Catholic community is coming together to lift up this important moment for the Church and the planet. Global Catholic Climate Movement is grateful to collaborate with partners like REPAM, the Pan-Amazonian Ecclesial Network, which is a key advisor to the synod.