DIVESTMENT STARTS HERE
Sign the commitment to join the next Catholic divestment announcement on the occasion of the Global Divest - Invest Summit (10 - 11 September 2019, Cape Town)
A GLOBAL MOVEMENT
Catholic institutions around the world are coming together in record numbers to divest from fossil fuels. It’s part our commitment to care for God’s creation and “the least of these.”
There is an urgent need to keep fossil fuels in the ground. Your institution has an important role to play.
INSTITUTIONS THAT DIVESTED AS PART OF THE JOINT CATHOLIC COMMITMENT
If your organization is interested in learning more, please contact
CATHOLIC DIVEST-INVEST NEWS
- On 7 May 2019, a coalition of maritime Catholic institutions announced their divestment from fossil fuels and called for commitment to slash fossil fuel emissions from the UN’s shipping agency. The institutions included the Archdiocese of Panama, home to the Panama Canal, Caritas Philippines, home to approximately 25% of the world’s seafarers, and others. See press release here.
- On March 22, 2019 the Austrian Bishops’Conference committed to divest from fossil fuels. Austria is the third bishops’ conference to announce its divestment from fossil fuels, following Belgium and Ireland. Blog post available here.
- On October 2018 Church leaders urged governments around the world to ramp up their climate action efforts calling for the ambitious implementation of the Paris Agreement. Bishops reiterate their urgent call to “put an and the fossil fuels era”. Read the joint press release by the GCCM, CIDSE and Caritas Internationalis and watch the video here. (October 26, 2018)
- The September 2018 divestment of 19 Catholic institutions including Caritas India and the Irish Catholic Bishops’ Conference was featured at the Global Climate Action Summit alongside the total divestment commitments of 900+ institutions. Read the press release and watch the video here. (September 10, 2018)
- The April 2018 divestment of Catholic institutions including Caritas Internationalis, Catholic banks with €7.5 billion on their balance sheets, and 30+ more institutions was covered widely. A video from Years of Living Dangerously was seen more than 200,000 times, an op-ed in the National Catholic Reporter explored the nuances of Catholic divestment, and coverage was seen in Vatican News, The Tablet, and others. (April 22, 2018)
- The October 2017 divestment of 40 Catholic institutions was widely covered in the press, including Reuters and the Guardian. (October 3, 2017)
- The May 2017 divestment of 9 Catholic institutions set a new record for joint Catholic divestment. Read more in National Catholic Reporter. (May 10, 2017)
- The “Laudato Si’ & Catholic Investing” conference took place in Rome, with keynote speeches from Cardinal Turkson, Christiana Figueres, and Cardinal Ribat. Read a National Catholic Reporter overview. (January 27, 2017)
- The double growth in fossil fuel divestment funds to $5 trillion was covered by the Guardian. (December 12, 2016)
- Seven Catholic Organizations Divest from Fossil Fuels on Occasion of Feast of St. Francis was announced by Global Catholic Climate Movement. (October 4, 2016)
- A report clarified the numbers behind the urgent need to keep oil in the ground. Read “The Sky’s Limit” from Oil Change International, Global Catholic Climate Movement, and partners. (September 1, 2016)
- Cardinal Peter Turkson made a statement about divestment on the World Day of Prayer for Care of Creation at a Vatican press conference. (September 1, 2016)
- Four Catholic Organizations announced their divestment from Fossil Fuels to commemorate the anniversary of the publication of Laudato Si’, covered in the Guardian. (June 16, 2016)