DIVESTMENT STARTS HERE
Catholic institutions are protecting creation and all who share it by divesting from fossil fuels.
September 13: Catholic institutions announce their commitment to divest. Sign the commitment to join.
A GLOBAL MOVEMENT
Catholic institutions around the world are coming together in record numbers to divest from fossil fuels. It’s part our commitment to care for God’s creation and “the least of these.”
There is an urgent need to keep fossil fuels in the ground. Your institution has an important role to play.
INSTITUTIONS THAT DIVESTED AS PART OF THE JOINT CATHOLIC COMMITMENT
If your organization is interested in learning more, please contact
CATHOLIC DIVEST-INVEST NEWS
- The April 2018 divestment of Catholic institutions including Caritas Internationalis, Catholic banks with €7.5 billion on their balance sheets, and 30+ more institutions was covered widely. A video from Years of Living Dangerously was seen more than 200,000 times, an op-ed in the National Catholic Reporter explored the nuances of Catholic divestment, and coverage was seen in Vatican News, The Tablet, and others. (April 22, 2018)
- The October 2017 divestment of 40 Catholic institutions was widely covered in the press, including Reuters and the Guardian. (October 3, 2017)
- The May 2017 divestment of 9 Catholic institutions set a new record for joint Catholic divestment. Read more in National Catholic Reporter. (May 10, 2017)
- The “Laudato Si’ & Catholic Investing” conference took place in Rome, with keynote speeches from Cardinal Turkson, Christiana Figueres, and Cardinal Ribat. Read a National Catholic Reporter overview. (January 27, 2017)
- The double growth in fossil fuel divestment funds to $5 trillion was covered by the Guardian. (December 12, 2016)
- Seven Catholic Organizations Divest from Fossil Fuels on Occasion of Feast of St. Francis was announced by Global Catholic Climate Movement. (October 4, 2016)
- A report clarified the numbers behind the urgent need to keep oil in the ground. Read “The Sky’s Limit” from Oil Change International, Global Catholic Climate Movement, and partners. (September 1, 2016)
- Cardinal Peter Turkson made a statement about divestment on the World Day of Prayer for Care of Creation at a Vatican press conference. (September 1, 2016)
- Four Catholic Organizations announced their divestment from Fossil Fuels to commemorate the anniversary of the publication of Laudato Si’, covered in the Guardian. (June 16, 2016)