OLD – DISMISS: Divest & Reinvest
Catholic institutions are divesting from fossil fuel companies and reinvesting in renewable energy as a response to the Pope’s Laudato Si’ encyclical and the COP21 statement of Catholic Bishops from all continents.
CATHOLIC DIVEST-REINVEST NEWS
- Four Catholic Organizations Divest in Occassion of Laudato Si Anniversary [PRESS RELEASE LINK]
WHAT IS “DIVEST & REINVEST”?
WHO COMMITTED TO DIVEST?
Over 530 institutions globally, representing over $3.4 trillion in funds under management, have committed to divest. They include institutions as the World Council of Churches, the Norwegian Sovereign Wealth Fund, the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, Stanford and Oxford Universities (see full list).
Catholic institutions that committed to divest fully or partially include:
- Georgetown University – USA
- Franciscan Sisters of Mary – USA
- University of Dayton – USA
- Trocaire – Ireland
- Sisters of Loretto – USA
- CCFD-Terre Solidaire (Catholic Committe Against Hunger and for Development) – France
- Catherine Donnelly Foundation (Sisters of Service) – Canada
- [NEW!] The Passionists – Holy Spirit Province Australia, NZ, PNG and Vietnam
- [NEW!] Presentation Sisters Wagga Wagga – Australia
- [NEW!] Presentation Congregation Queensland – Australia
- [NEW!] Marist Sisters – Australia
Many more Catholic organizations are preparing for a second joint announcement on October 4, the Feast of St Francis.
- A beginner’s guide to fossil fuel divestment – The Guardian
- Go Fossil Free website
- Divestment classifications
- Divest & Reinvest Now! statement signed by over 80 theologians and faith leaders