Catholics Protect Creation
Global Catholic Climate Movement works within the Catholic Church to better care for our common home. Our founding document is Pope Francis’ encyclical on climate change and ecology, Laudato Si’. Please watch our most recent message from Pope Francis.
GCCM aims to enable the Catholic community to bring Laudato Si’ to life in the three dimensions of the climate crisis:
– The papal call to action: “We must therefore encourage and support the ‘ecological conversion’ which has made humanity more sensitive to the catastrophe to which it has been heading” (St John Paul II).
– GCCM’s goal: to enable an ecological conversion of the Catholic faithful, a “change of heart” that can motivate an integral ecology and a more passionate concern for God’s creation.
– The papal call to action: “Humanity is called to recognize the need for changes of lifestyle, production and consumption, in order to combat this warming” and “highly polluting fossil fuels need to be progressively replaced without delay.” (Pope Francis, LS 23, 165).
– GCCM’s goal: to help the Catholic family lead by example and dramatically shrink its collective carbon footprint.
PUBLIC SPHERE DIMENSION:
– The papal call to action: “The Church has a responsibility towards creation and she must assert this responsibility in the public sphere… She must above all protect mankind from self-destruction.” (Pope Benedict XVI, Caritas in Veritate 51)
– GCCM’s goal: to raise a loud and prophetic voice critiquing the “unlimited growth” paradigm and calling for bold policies to advance 100% renewable energy.