Please send to [email protected] what is working in your parish and share any good models you come across!
- Have a ‘Green Film Night’ (see film/video list)
- Laudato Si in schools
- Examples from Salt and Light
- Discussions of Key Issues
- Hold a panel discussion or a presentation on creation care or climate change (contact us at CoIPL for speakers).
- Get your church or faith community involved with a community event on creation care or climate change.
- Organize a forum for the local community on an environmental issue.
- Conduct a letter writing night at your church (representatives in your district would like to hear your voice).
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle. Additional program information at www.ecocycle.org, and at your local city or county agencies.
- A list of tips printed in communication channels.
- Participation in a Green, Stewardship or Environment Team (Contact us if you need assistance on starting a team in your religious community).
- Conducting or participating in a workshop which teaches and encourages people to make their lives more sustainable.
- Organizing a carpool to your house of worship or an Alternative Transportation Day.
- Encouraging the sharing of resources – an extra garden produce trade, register of items people are happy to lend, babysitting trading arrangement.
- Promote the Catholic Climate Petition in your parish – Global Catholic Climate Movement (GCCM)
- Start small faith and support communities, for action and reflection
- Start teaching this (ecological principles and Laudato Si’ in first grade).
- Share what kids are doing. Encourage adults to listen and learn from kids.
- Add a community garden to the parish grounds.
- Formulate constructive conversation points on the church’s position on the environment.
- Develop unified politics to provide support beyond what the Pope has started. Expand cooperation around life and seamless garment approach.
- Put an idea for an action in the bulletin each week.
- Develop a blogging system to educate and share good ideas and good news.
- Give talks to other parishes. The encyclical is an opportunity to build up political support and get this movement really going.
- Use your influence and voice to press for change.
West Seattle Blog: Thursday: Our Lady of Guadalupe to host Seattle-wide follow-up to Pope’s environmental encyclical Full detailed coverage of the encyclical celebration at Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish. [The WS Blog reported the number of attendees who showed up early for a tour of the church’s green buildings, solar panels, and gardens (150) as opposed to the total number that attended the service (over 400).]
NW Catholic: Seattle Parish Celebrates Release of Pope’s Encyclical on Climate Change
Regional coverage of the encyclical celebration event at Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish, featuring quotes from several of the speakers including Jessie Dye.