This toolkit has resources to help you mobilize Catholics in your city to answer the call of Pope Francis for the Global Climate March on Nov 29.
1) CONTACT YOUR LOCAL CATHOLIC LEAD
- Find out their contact details here.
- If there is no Catholic lead in your city, sign up as a lead through this form to be connected to resources and community (check out Frequently Asked Questions about being a Catholic Lead for the March).
2) FIND OUT THE DETAILS OF THE MARCH IN YOUR CITY
Find out the details of the march in your city by contacting your local march coordinators:
- If you are already in touch with your local march coordinator, great!
- If not, check out the march locations in the official Global Climate March website and contact your local march coordinator.
- If you are still not sure who to connect to, email [email protected] for help.
3) SPREAD THE WORD
Tell everyone about the march. Send them SMS or WhatsApp messages with the march info, and share these resources on social media:
- VIDEO “Pope’s Call to Defend Mother Earth”: share on Facebook or share the YouTube link https://youtu.be/nuSp-APSl8E
- VIDEO “Pope’s Call to Take the Streets”: share on Facebook or share the YouTube link youtu.be/Vr_-Onr5A4M
- Share one of these graphic banners on social media:
(or download the graphic banners)
4) INVITE YOUR LOCAL BISHOP TO ENDORSE THE MARCH
Contact your local diocese and refer to the letter that Cardinal Turkson recently sent to all bishops of the world inviting them to support the march. For more information, read:
- News article about the letter.
- Full letter from Cardinal Turkson:
English, Italiano, Español, Français, Português, Deutsche.
Two additional resources:
- Letter to Bishops that you can adapt and send to your Bishop asking for his support.
- Example of a circular letter from Cardinal Tagle (Archbishop of Manila) encouraging the local faithful to join the march.
5) REACH OUT TO YOUR LOCAL PARISH
- Reach out to your local parish to support the Month of Climate Action and Global Climate March using these sample scripts and talking points for mobilizing fellow Catholics.
- Use these Sample Church Announcement and Sample Bulletin Announcement to advertise the Month of Climate Action and the local march.
- Hang a Poster in the parish billboard.
- Show this 2 minute video after mass of “The Pope’s Call to Action”:
1. YouTube: https://youtu.be/nuSp-APSl8E
2. Downloadable file (in case your parish has no wifi)
- Contact parish organizations – women’s and youth groups, altar societies (example: Knights of Columbus, Scouts, St. Vincent de Paul, etc) and ask for permission to make a presentation using this powerpoint, the video and/or the above talking points.
- Reach out to neighboring parishes for permission to share all of the above information.
6) REACH OUT TO MEDIA
- Use this Press Release template to alert your local media.
- Check out this Global Climate Marches Communication Pack for resources to help explain COP21. It includes talking points and sample press templates.
7) CONTACT LOCAL CATHOLIC ORGANIZATIONS
There is a wide array of local Catholic organizations that could join you for the march. Here are some sample email letters to contact each of them (please let us know if you could use a copy with a letterhead).
- Caritas (diocesan or parish offices). See Sample email to Caritas members.
- Religious organizations – including religious orders and church organizations. See Sample email to Catholic organizations.
- Catholic university and high schools . Sample email to Catholic universities and high schools.
8) PREPARE YOUR BANNERS TO CARRY ON NOV 29
We aim to create a unified look of Catholics marching around the globe under the banner of the Global Catholic Climate Movement.
- Banners with slogans (English and Spanish) and the GCCM name (English, Spanish, Portuguese, French)
- Posters you can print and add your personal reason for joining the Global Climate March (English and Spanish)
- Banner: Here the Cry of the Earth and the Cry of the Poor
- GCCM logos here for your banners and posters.
- See other sample posters from some of our Catholic partners here.
9) SEND US YOUR VIDEOS, PICTURES, AND STORIES FROM THE MARCH
We will be creating a video of Catholics marching around the world shortly after. Please send any materials to [email protected] with subject “March video.”
Other Helpful Resources
- Global Climate Marches Communication Pack from CAN and GCCA – talking points on COP21 with media messaging.
- Other GCCM Videos on YouTube
- Videos from global partners – Coalition Climate 21 – the mobilisation and the tree; CAFOD – Laudato Si Animation; United Nations Foundation – Earth to Paris ; Call to action – Sao Paulo
- GCCM on the radio – broadcasts by Kevin Roussel and Karen Pillay of Catholic Welfare and Development in Capetown, South Africa.
- Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns – Path to Paris Issue 1 – Rising Sea Levels are a Cry of the Earth; Path to Paris Issue 2 – Extreme Weather are a Cry of the Poor
- List of Bishops and Cardinals who have endorsed the petition
- March updates around the world.
- GCCM resources on climate change, the encyclical, and care for creation
- Blog with other updates of the GCCM CampaignFor any questions, ideas or feedback, contact: Mary Colborn <[email protected]>Report back on your march action here Check out your amazing march pictures here