World Youth Day Care for Creation Coordinator
Type of position:
May 1, 2018
January 31, 2019
“The Creator does not abandon us; he never forsakes his loving plan or repents of having created us.” (LS 13)
The World Youth Day (WYD) is a celebration organized by the Catholic Church that brings together young people from all over the world to pray, celebrate, and reflect. In 2019, Panama, has been chosen by Pope Francis to house the WYD from January 22nd to 27th, 2019, by the guided motto “I am the servant of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your Word”.
The role of the of Care for Creation Coordinator will be to coordinate efforts to encourage “ecological conversion” to participate in the WYD in the areas of facilities, liturgies and education. Specifically, this project aims to give practical testimony of the Church’s commitment to caring for creation through: encouraging sustainable facilities; incorporating the care of creation issues throughout the key liturgical moments; and to encourage the vocation of young people to protect our ‘common home’.
This staff member will work within the WYD organizing committee in Panama with guidance and collaboration of the Global Catholic Climate Movement.
- Inspire and drive forward efforts to integrate creation care within WYD
- Coordinate and liaise closely with existing WYD working groups, partners, suppliers and vendors to implement various project elements
- Collaborate with GCCM secretariat and specific working groups to support the delivery of key elements of the project
- Oversee the production and dissemination of educational materials and branding; ensure content adapted to multiple languages and global audience
- Oversee and manage relationships with contractors implementing specific elements of the project (designer, artists, sustainability consultant)
- Reach out to stakeholders for sponsorship opportunities for specific elements of the project, particularly the sustainable facilities elements
- Manage project budget
- Work with the WYD team to enlist, coordinate, and train creation care volunteers from across Panama
- Ensure the proper management of data relating to volunteers and engagement of participants in creation care project
- Represent efforts creation care to the media and general public
- Strong commitment to environmental sustainability, particularly as it relates to the World Youth Day themes
- Adept at working within Catholic Church structures and excellent contacts within Irish diocesan and parish structures
- Knowledge of events sustainability and ability to readily engage key stakeholders in the environmental sector in Panama
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both English and Spanish; knowledge of additional languages preferred.
- Experience coordinating large-scale events and ideally experience with events sustainability
- Capable of working with internal and external teams and partners to deliver project aims
- Takes initiative, is creative, and able to manage various tasks and deadlines with a positive and flexible attitude
- This is a temporary fixed term contract. Non-renewable.
- Full-time position
- Salary: $800 USD monthly
- This position is based in the World Youth Day offices in Panama. Accomodations can be provided if needed.